Restoring your roof can increase the value of your home and make it more appealing to potential buyers if you're thinking of selling or renovating it. For a fraction of the cost of a full roof replacement, roof restoration can extend the useful life of an ageing roof. In this article, we'll discuss whether it's time to regain your roof, what it entails, and how much it will cost.
What Exactly Is A Roof Restoration?
Roofing restoration often entails cleaning, fixing, and repainting. In comparison to a complete roof replacement, this is typically a more cost-effective solution that can add years to the lifespan of your roof.
Restoration of a roof is distinct from either repair or replacement. Since roof repairs like patching a leak are typically smaller jobs, they cost less than full roof restorations for a few reasons. Having an old roof removed and a new one put on is going to cost you the most money.
What Are The Symptoms Of Roof Restoration?
Leaks in the ceiling are usually the first sign that your roof requires repair. If your home's interior has been damaged, you may find wet stains or dark areas on the ceiling where mould or rot has grown. These look like the result of a leaky roof.
The average lifespan of a roof is 20–25 years, though this can vary widely depending on the quality of the materials employed. If your roof's life cycle has come to an end, it is more cost-effective to have it restored than to make constant repairs.
The telltale indicator of roof damage is a sagging section. A problem of your roof rafters is likely the cause of an apparent dip in your roof.
Roof Valleys That Are Deteriorating
Roof valleys that have been damaged should be repaired without delay. Signs that your roof needs immediate maintenance include the appearance of worn or loose material from around chimney, vents, pipe, and other places where the roof has now been penetrated and sealed.
Rust, or corrosion, is a sure sign that water is pooling around your roof's fixtures and fasteners. If you find rust mixed with peeling paint and rotting wood, it's best to have a professional assess your roof to determine the extent of the damage.
Mould, Rot, Or Water
Mold is a more obvious concern with harmful health impacts and no aesthetic appeal than algae and moss, which can be beneficial in the right conditions. Mold can be detected by its foul odour and seen as black, brown, or dark-green spots with a slimy, ugly appearance.
Roof Shingles That Are Deteriorating
Curled or damaged shingles, or granules of shingles in the gutters, are clear indicators that your roof needs repair.
Gutters And Downspouts That Are Damaged
Oftentimes, home and business owners fail to notice when their gutters and downspouts have been compromised. Rust or corrosion in the gutters and downspouts are other indicators that your roof requires maintenance.
Roof Flashing That Is Cracked Or Worn
Roofs with cracked, broken, or worn tar or cement flashing may benefit from having modern metal flashing installed to minimise leaks and postpone a roof rehabilitation or replacement.
Tiles That Are Cracked Or Broken
Tiles that are broken or cracked must be replaced immediately. When it comes to roofing, tiles are among the most long-lasting options available and almost never require complete replacement. However, if you fail to repair or restore even a few damaged tiles, water may leak in and rot the wood supporting your roof, leading to a much more expensive roof renewal or restoration job.
What Goes Into Roof Restoration?
Roof rehabilitation is not an do-it-yourself activity because of the safety risks involved and the need for specialised skills. So, in most cases, you should employ a professional that specialises in this area.
This will usually need repairing tiles or coating and repainting the steel sheeting/Colorbond, or even replacing these elements totally, depending on the sort of roofing you have. The roofer will start by scrubbing it clean of all the grime, mould, and algae. They will then either seal and/or repair your metal sheet roofing or replace individual cracked tiles and re-align tiles.
Metal Roof Refinishing
To fix a metal roof, you can either seal off the leaking area or replace the deteriorated sheeting entirely. The roof, flashing, and gutters all have potential weak points where water can seep in.
A metal roof patch is typically made with the same metal or colorbond as the rest of the roof to hide a small leak. The repair is secured with metal screws and sealed to prevent future water damage.
Roof Tile Restoration
If you see a broken roof tile, it's important to have it replaced immediately to prevent water damage and the need for expensive repairs. Damage to roof tiles can be caused by a number of events, such as heavy rain or branches falling on the roof.
The ridge tiles are rebedded and repointed, and any broken, damaged, or cracking tiles are replaced. An generally pro and sealer are then applied afterwards.
How Much Does It Cost To Restore A Roof?
Roof restoration costs for a typical Australian home are estimated to begin at roughly $2,500, according to quotes we gathered from several different companies.
Roofing businesses usually quote prices per square metre, with some discounts applied to bigger areas.
Companies that need to work on rooftops over a particular height will need to instal a safety rail, which will add to the price.
The price may also be affected by other factors, such as:
- Roof slope or pitch.
- Estimated number of needed fixes
- Coatings needed, and their varieties
- The Roof Is Easily Accessible.
It's important to note that in Australia, repairing the roof is more expensive than going the restoration route.
Several criteria, such as the roof's type and size of repair needed, will determine the final cost of renovation. When the following are taken into account, a rough estimate can be made.
The Nature Of Restoration
A concrete roof, constructed from common materials like water, dust, and cement, should survive for at least 2 decades with routine, thorough care.
Depending on the extent of the damage, the cost of restoration might range from about $1.20 to over $2.00 per square foot. There is little variation in annual cost, but it can go as high as $28.88 per square metre.
In addition to their durability (terracotta tiles can survive for 50 years), the principal benefit of utilising them is that they are well-suited to the corrosive, coastal air.
However, terracotta restoration is more expensive than concrete restoration. Prices in Melbourne range from $4 per square metre per month to $33.33 each square metre per year.
Metal roofs are less prevalent than the beautiful Terracotta tiles, but they require just as much maintenance and can cost just as much to restore. The energy savings may be worth it if you live in a very harsh climate.
Roof Restoration Cost Influencing Factors
The cost of roof restoration is often based on a number of criteria, the most prominent ones being the difficulty of gaining access to the area and the overall size of the repair job. To better identify your needs and budget for roofing, consider the following considerations.
Your roof's condition is the primary determinant of how much it will cost to restore it. In order to determine what kind of maintenance is necessary, a local roofing expert will examine your roof. If a restoration project needs to have the structure altered, the price tag will rise.
Do you need to clean your roof to get rid of algae, dirt, or moulds that could cause damage? Should it be repainted? Could you tell me if the gutters were in good shape? Is it possible that there could be access problems? Costs could shift depending on these factors.
Pointing And Bedding
The cost also increases due to the selection of bedding and pointing. Polymer bedding may be more expensive than standard mortar bedding. It's possible that the price of deburring roof ridge tiles will be different from the going rate for repointing metal roofs.
Your Roof's Size
It's estimated that the typical roof area is between 200 and 300 square metres. Your roof, because of its overhang and pitch, will need to be larger than your actual house.
The restoration technique for metal roofs may vary from that used on tiled roofs. In order to improve their appearance, metal roofs that are decades old may have to be reclosed or repainted. To prevent further leaks or damage, a new sheet may need to be installed.
Depending on the style, the price of a Colourbond roof sheet might range from $13 to $37.
Restoration of a tile roof, on the other hand, entails fixing the pointing and replacing any broken tiles. The price of roof restoration may change if new fixtures are installed. Tiles will run you anywhere from $3 to $5.
The condition of your roof might be greatly improved by doing substantial repairs. Costs for labour and supplies could go up as a result. The cost or roof restoration might also be affected by the need for replacement work.
It's recommended that you receive at least two estimates from separate roof restoration businesses or professionals. Be as specific as you can when describing your roof and outlining what needs done.
When Should You Replace Your Roof?
A professional roof inspection and assessment can help you decide if roof restoration or replacement is necessary. Sheet metal roofs, as well as some older tile roofs, are two examples of roofing materials that are sometimes better replaced than restored.
Sometimes, especially with older tiled roofs, it's not worthwhile to try to restore them, as some designs are less effective at keeping moisture out, for example.
A decent quality metal sheet replacement might last you 40 years, so we [also] normally recommend replacing instead of restoring sheet metal roofs. In contrast, the quality of a restoration is limited by the quality of the paint used.
How Long Does It Take To Restore A Roof?
In order to restore your roof, you should allocate three to ten workdays. Factors such as the extent of the damage, the size of roof, and the weather can all affect how long it takes to recover your roof.
The Restoration Method
It is customary to clear the roof of all debris prior painting it, a process that may cost somewhere in the neighbourhood of $220 for all three roof types.
Depending on the size of the home, the ridge sealing and gable mortar are re-bedded and directed to the appropriate locations. You can put as much as $2,900 on the table for this.
How Long Does It Take To Restore A Roof?
The typical lifespan of a roof after restoration is 15 years. In addition, the paint itself is often covered by a manufacturer's warranty that might last for a decade or more. When comparing bids for roof restoration, it's important to carefully examine exactly what is and isn't covered by any applicable warranties.
What Are My Financing Options For A Roof Restoration?
The extent of the damage and the price of repairs will likely determine how you'll pay for the roof's restoration. Aspiring homeowners can pick from a variety of viable options, such as:
Refinancing or refinancing your home mortgage, or extending a "line of credit," is an option you may want to consider if the job is large enough or if you are performing many tasks simultaneously. You may be able to add a drawdown capability to your existing loan, for instance, but this will depend on your lender (and you should be aware that there may be fees associated with making modifications to your loan, and that the amount you can redraw may be capped).
Alternately, you might take out a loan with a higher interest rate and add an offsetting account to your finances to assist you save money while still having access to your funds.
You could want to take out a bank loan to cover the expense of the project, depending on your current financial situation. One or both of these conditions may be met. Personal loan interest rates tend to be higher than mortgage rates, so it's important to do your research before taking out a loan.
Depending on the total price and how quickly you can pay off the balance, credit card financing could be an option. There may be ancillary benefits to using your card, such as additional insurance coverage (for details on the coverage and any exclusions, see the card's Product Disclosure Statement).
It's important to remember that the rates on credit cards are often significantly higher than those for home other personal loans, and that interest can quickly add up on huge accounts. Thus, it is prudent to carefully analyse and weigh your options. If you know you won't be able to pay off your credit card bill in full every month, you might want to think again about getting one.
Questions To Ask When Hiring A Roof Restoration Company
If you need your roof repaired, you should take care in selecting a roof restorer. For instance, one might wonder:
- Do you have your permits in order?
- Have you checked to be sure your insurance is still in effect?
- If so, do you have a written quote that I may look at?
- What is the duration of your material guarantee?
- Can you provide me with some recommendations that I can contact?
Always ask for a detailed breakdown of costs before hiring a roofing contractor, no matter how big or small the task. When picking on a roofing restoration firm, you shouldn't base your decision solely on price. Make sure you're comparing like services, and that your roof will be repaired using high-quality materials and expert craftsmanship. We hope that this will be the end of roofs that are peeling and warranty claims that are never honoured.
Roofing restoration is different from roof repair or roof replacement. It's more expensive to completely restore a roof than to simply repair a leak, therefore smaller works like that often cost less. Worn or loose material around the chimney, vents, pipe, and other areas are telltale signs that your roof requires quick repair. New metal flashing may be preferable than outdated tar or cement flashing in cases of damage, wear, or deterioration. Mold produces an unpleasant odour and appears as black, brown, or dark-green spots that are slimy and unsightly.
Another sign that roof care is needed is the presence of rust or corrosion in the roof's drains and gutters. Heavy rain or trees falling on the roof are only two examples of the many things that might damage roof tiles. The starting point for restoring a typical Australian house is estimated at around $2,750. In Australia, the cost of restoration is typically lower than that of roof repair. Roof restoration costs can vary widely depending on a number of factors, the most important of which are the accessibility of the location and the extent of the repair operation.
Increases in labour and material costs, as well as the necessity for repair work, are possible outcomes. Don't be vague when explaining the condition of your roof and the work that needs to be done. If you're not sure whether to repair your roof or get a new one, an expert can assist you make that call. Sometimes it's better to replace a tile roof or a sheet metal roof than to try and restore them. The ridge sealant and gable mortar are re-bedded and redirected to their proper placements based on the size of the home.
Carefully consider your options before hiring a roof restorer if you require repairs. Credit card interest rates can be several times higher than those for mortgages or other types of personal lending. You might also consider getting a loan with a higher interest rate and using that money to open a savings account.
- If you're thinking about selling your property or renovating it, restoring the roof can boost its value and make it more desirable to buyers.
- To save the high cost of a complete roof replacement, consider having your roof restored instead.
- In this article, we'll go through the signs that it's time to restore your roof, as well as the steps involved and approximate costs.
- Cleaning, repairing, and repainting are common components of roof restoration.
- This is often a more cost-effective option than a full roof replacement and can extend your roof's life by several years.
- Roofing restoration is different from roof repair or roof replacement.
- For several reasons, complete roof restorations are more expensive than fixes like patching a leak.
- The most expensive part of replacing a roof is tearing off the old one.
- The presence of leaks in the ceiling is often the first indication that your roof needs attention.
- They remind me of the damage caused by a leaking roof.
- A roof typically lasts between 20 and 25 years, but this number might vary greatly depending on the quality of the materials used.
- If your roof has reached the end of its useful life, having it restored is more cost-effective than making frequent repairs.
- Having a sagging part of roof is a sure sign of deterioration.
- An issue with your roof's rafters is probably to blame for the sag you've noticed there.
- The presence of rust or corrosion indicates that water is collecting around the roof's fasteners and fixtures.
- Shingle granules or curled shingles are obvious signs that your roof requires attention.
- Another sign that roof care is needed is the presence of rust or corrosion in the roof's drains and gutters.
- Modern metal flashing may be a good option for delaying a roof rehabilitation or replacement in cases where the tar or cement flashing was damaged due to age or normal wear and tear.
- Tiles are one of the most durable roofing materials and rarely need to be replaced entirely.
- But if you don't fix even a few broken tiles, water can leak in and rot the timber holding your roof, resulting in a considerably more expensive roof renewal or restoration project.
- Because of the inherent dangers and the necessity for specialised abilities, roof rehabilitation is not something that can be done by a homeowner on their own.
- Therefore, it is recommended that you hire an expert in the field.
- Depending on the type of roof you have, this could involve fixing tiles, coating and repainting the steel sheeting/Colorbond, or even replacing these components entirely.
- The first step in the roofing process involves removing any dirt, mould, or algae that may have accumulated.
- After that, they will either seal any leaks in your metal sheets or fix any damage, or they will replace any broken tiles and realign the rest.
- The leaking section of a metal roof can be sealed off, or the deteriorating sheets can be replaced totally.
- Roofing, flashing, and downspouts can all be entry places for water damage.
- Water damage and costly repairs can be avoided if you replace a damaged roof tile as soon as you notice it.
- Heavy rain or trees falling on the roof are only two examples of the many things that might damage roof tiles.
- Re-bedding and re-pointing the ridge tiles, and replacing any damaged or cracked tiles.
- Several firms' estimates put the minimum cost of roof restoration for a standard Australian home at around $2,500.
- Note that in Australia, roof restoration is typically less expensive than roof repair.
- The total price of repairs will depend on a number of factors, including the type and extent of damage to the roof.
- Restoration might cost anywhere from about $1.20 to over $2.00 per square foot, depending on the severity of the damage.
- One of the main advantages of utilising terracotta tiles is that they are resistant to the corrosive, coastal air and can last for up to 50 years.
- Restoration of terracotta, on the other hand, is more costly than that of concrete.
- The cost of a square metre in Melbourne can range from $4 per month to $33.33 per square metre per year.
- Roof restoration costs can vary widely depending on a number of factors, the most important of which are the accessibility of the location and the extent of the repair operation.
- The following factors can help you determine your roofing requirements and budget.
- The state of your roof will be the key factor in determining how much it will cost to repair it.
- A roofing specialist in your area will take a look at your roof to see what kind of care it needs.
- Adding to the overall cost of a restoration job is the necessity of making structural changes.
- Metal roofs may require a different type of repair than tile ones.
- It's possible that the cost to restore a roof will go up if modern plumbing or electrical work is required.
- If your roof is in bad shape, maybe some major repairs can help.
- Because of this, labour and material costs may rise.
- If you're not sure whether to restore your roof or get a new one, an expert may inspect it for you.
- Some types of roofing, such as older tiles and sheet metal, are better off being replaced than restored.
- Sheet metal roofs are typically better off being replaced than restored, and a well-made replacement can last for decades.
- The time it takes to repair your roof might vary widely depending on variables including the size of your roof, the severity of the damage, and the climate.
- Roof restoration estimates should be compared with close attention paid to the details of any guarantees being offered.
- You'll have to figure out how to pay for the roof repair based on the level of damage and the cost of the labour involved.
- It's also possible to save money while maintaining access to your savings by taking out a loan with a higher interest rate and pairing it with an offsetting account.
- Depending on how much money you have on hand, you may need to get a loan to pay for the project.
- It is crucial to shop around before taking out a loan, especially a personal loan where interest rates are typically higher than mortgage rates.
- Credit card financing may be a possibility, depending on the overall cost and how quickly you can pay off the balance.
- Therefore, it's wise to think things out and analyse your options thoroughly.
- You shouldn't apply for a credit card if you can't guarantee paying off the balance in full each month.
- You shouldn't just look at the price tag when deciding on a roofing restoration company.
- Verify that you're comparing apples to apples and that the roof repair provider you choose will use high-quality materials and skilled workmanship.
Frequently Asked Questions About Roof Restoration
The average industry price range for a 180-220m2 (average 4-bedroom size home) can range from $4000.00 – $5500.00 for a Full Clean, Repoint, Sealer and 2 Topcoats. Most companies will work on a square meter price, and this will vary from small roofs to big.
The benefits of a roof restoration done at the right time are many. The biggest of all is extending the lifespan of the original roof. With both tiled and metal roofs, if restored at around the 20-year age mark and then every 15 years, the original tile or metal roof can almost last forever.
approximately 15 to 20 years
The average full roof restoration has an expected lifespan of approximately 15 to 20 years. This time frame is when the job is performed with the right preparation by a qualified tradesperson. However, this is subject to sunlight (UV) conditions, coating colour choice, and mould or mildew growth.
Perth Roof restoration can cost between $18 and $36 per square metre, depending on who you talk to. For a 200m2 roof tile restoration, the cost can range from $3,600 to $7,200. Prices vary depending on the amount of roof maintenance required and your location (if outside the Perth metro area).
The process of restoring a roof typically involves cleaning, repairing and repainting. This is designed to extend the life of your roof while usually being a cheaper option than a full roof replacement. A roof restoration is different to a repair or a replacement.