Garages provide usable square footage that can be utilised to a wide range of ends, from vehicle storage to a key point of entry and exit to the home to even recreational pursuits. They should be able to do all of these things, or at least some of them. Unfortunately, many garages lose some of their usefulness due to the buildup of unnecessary clutter. In addition, it makes this part of the house look unsightly, which is an issue because this area is typically overlooked when redesigning a home's interior.
Here Are Expert Garage Interior Tips.
Get Rid Of The Old Crap
The best reason to keep your garage tidy is as follows:
What sense does it make to store dusty, rarely used junk in your garage ahead of your pricey, frequently used cars? To put it plainly, if you want your garage to seem nicer, you need to get rid of the trash that has accumulated there over the years. If you haven't used an item in a year or more, ask yourself if you really need to keep it around when you're cleaning out your wardrobe, your office, or your trash can.
Cleaning up the garage's aesthetics is as simple as tossing your trash there to make more room for parking and less work for the cleaner. However, that's just the beginning. Putting up a show home requires transforming the garage into an exhibition space.
Give Your Makeover To A Pro
Want to know the one decision that will have the biggest impact on whether or not you achieve your goal of making your garage better than it is now? Whether or not your garage renovation turns out depends on the professionals you choose to work on it.
The garages you see here and on our website have a polished, professional look because of our years of experience and the high-quality materials we purchase. Bring us your plans, and we'll change your garage into a place you'll be excited to enter after a long day.
To warm up a room during the colder months, a simple space heater may be all that's needed if the room isn't too big. But if you require more, a gas-powered forced hot air unit that can be hung from the ceiling is your best bet. You can get by with just one window air conditioner or an evaporative cooler during the hot summer months.
Showroom-Quality Floors Improve Garage Interiors
Something as seemingly unimportant as the garage floor can have a major impact on the overall aesthetic of the room. Until about the last ten to fifteen years, the surface of a garage was often considered boring and featureless due to its functional purpose. The visual value of garages has been transformed, however, by the introduction of modern floor coatings applied by trained professionals.
Polyaspartic floor coatings and other high-quality materials give garage floors a sleek, consistent appearance and can be customised with designer colours to achieve a showroom look. You may finish the floor of your garage restoration project any time of year, even in the winter if you live in a colder climate. In comparison to epoxy floor coatings, polyaspartic coatings have many advantages, including the fact that they may be applied all year round regardless of the weather.
Reduce Floor Mess
After years of neglect, you've cleaned up your garage and greatly increased your productivity. While that's a great first step towards a neat and tidy garage, it's just half the battle. If you have hand tools, garden tools, automotive supplies, or anything else that has to be kept secure, you should never store them on the floor of the garage. There's a chance this goes against everything you've been taught up until now, as well as the way the vast majority of people use their garages.
However, unless your garage is so small that it can only contain one car, you can store anything in there, and nothing reserved can touch the floor. Really. Keep reading to learn the simple steps you need to take to make this a reality in your own life. In addition, you can drive in and out of the garage with complete peace of mind that you won't scratch your car or anything else that was left there. There is ample space for parking for entering and exiting vehicles. And if you've just paid the money to have a brand new garage floor covering laid, there's no use in trying to cover it up with a mess.
Put Your Garage Walls To Use As Shelving
Even if a garage's interior is designed according to the latest trends, it won't be useful if there aren't sufficient storage solutions to keep everything neat and tidy. Installing and maintaining high-quality storage solutions to elevate the garage's interior is essential for keeping tools, sporting goods, and other items off the floor.
Garages commonly use hooks and pegboards for storage, but the vertical space is underutilised. Slatwall panels, precisely cut to fit the dimensions of your garage, can be installed to create a great deal of extra storage space. Wall switches,central vacuum piping, outlets, and other similar components should all have their own dedicated cutouts in these panels. In addition to their primary function, they have a number of secondary uses. When installed in an unfinished garage, our PVC Slatwall panels are a vast improvement over the alternatives of exposed studs or unpainted, scuffed, and unclean drywall.
Hang Storage Adaptable
Having a place to hang and keep your belongings is a great time saver. It's great to have wall storage, and it's even better to be able to easily rearrange that storage to meet your changing storage needs as the seasons change or as you acquire new tools.
Slatwall hanging and panel accessories are more expensive than comparable pegboard panels and hanging accessories, but they allow for far more flexibility in how you hang your items thanks to a horizontal groove design. When contrasting Slatwall with pegboard, this becomes more clear. With over 40 distinct types of wall hanging accessories for sale, you'll have no trouble finding the perfect fit for the vast majority of your needs.
Look At All The Empty Space In The Ceiling. Use It!
The majority of garages also waste valuable vertical space by not making full use of the area above their vehicles. If you glance up, you'll probably find a tonne of empty garage space that could be put to good use. You need only observe. Putting in ceiling racks is a great way to keep things off the garage floor. The racks' ability to accommodate bulky and heavy items is a major contributing factor. The following are some examples of items that work well when stored on racks suspended from the ceiling:
- Outdoor furniture that can be left out all through the winter
- Sporting goods, camping necessities, and more
- Plastic containers for storing things
- Pre-packaged sets of summer and winter tyres (wall-mounted tyre racks are another option)
Storage Cabinets Help Maintain Order And Secrecy.
Nothing absolutely needs to be affixed to the wall. Installing cabinets in your garage is a great way to create organised storage for a variety of objects, including trash cans, recycling bins, a shop vac, a compressor, and other tools and supplies. Spending more on a custom cabinet system is an investment worth making. Custom cabinets fit your garage better, look better, and utilise better materials so they last longer and perform more smoothly than mass-produced, off-the-shelf cabinets. One benefit of installing more garage cabinets is the added privacy it provides for your stored items. Keeping a garage looking nice is as simple as clearing away any unnecessary items.
If the insulation is performing its job properly, the garage temperature should remain comfortable throughout the year. In most uninsulated garages, the rafters are exposed, making it easy to roll in insulation and then cover it over.
Create Storage Zones For Easy Finding
One of the most frustrating aspects of working in a messy garage is the time wasted searching for essential supplies. Setting up storage zones using your storage systems to group things together is an effective approach to save time and reduce the element of guesswork while searching for a specific tool or accessory. Naturally, the system can't function correctly unless things are put where they go, but it's much easier to do so if each thing has a defined and readily accessible home. It may be helpful to clearly designate the locations of items that do not need to be relocated each time the seasons change. The next time someone uses the garage, they will have a much harder time not putting items back where they belong.
It's Important To Keep The Garage Floor Intact
In addition to improving the aesthetic appeal of the garage as a whole, a high-quality floor coating can provide the concrete flooring with much-needed protection. Vehicle traffic, dirt, foot traffic and dust buildup, road salt, water, and accidental spills or leaks of hazardous substances all contribute to the deterioration of the floor in a garage. If the floor isn't protected from wear and tear, it will eventually crack, crumble, and wear away. There will be a rise in dust and other microscopic particles as a result, making the garage look even worse.
Pitting, which shows as a pattern of extremely small indentations on the floor, is an indication that the surface has deteriorated. Similarly, spalling is characterised by the surface cracking or flaking away. Floor coatings are made to keep a garage floor looking great for years. Their durability is enhanced by the fact that they are more resistant to impacts and abrasions than epoxy coatings are. Furthermore, there is less of a chance that hot tyres will leave behind any sort of permanent imprints.
Garage Interior Painting For A Better Look
The garage's wall and ceiling colours have a major effect on how much natural light enters the room. This is not a minor consideration in a place where you will be parking cars, looking for things, and using tools. If you want to make a room look brighter and more welcoming, consider giving it a fresh coat of paint in a lighter colour. This holds true for any part of the garage that isn't enclosed by Slatwall or a cabinet system.
Remember that a lighter shade will highlight any dirt or filth that may be present. If you want to use a lighter colour, semi-gloss paint is a wonderful choice. Semi-gloss paints are easier to clean and conceal dirt and wear better than flat paints. When compared to other neutral colours like grey, beige, and tan, white is the most challenging to keep clean and maintain. They also provide additional design flexibility. The design's flexibility is what we're referring about, of course.
Maximise The Aesthetic Potential Of Your Garage
Utilising the design freedom that comes with using bespoke goods, you can give the garage an expert, put-together look by coordinating the various components. The colour of the floor coating, for instance, can draw attention to the expensive cars parked in the garage and complement the style of the cabinets and Slatwall installed there. It's possible that the tiniest details can improve the overall quality of the garage's interior. One way to get this effect is to use fasteners for hanging Slatwall panels that match the colour of the panels themselves.
Rather than having them stand alone on the floor, we can also help certain clients achieve a truly unique aesthetic by wall-mounting the cabinetry to give it a floating effect. This will create the illusion that the cabinets are affixed to the wall. Utilising the design freedom that comes with using bespoke goods, you can give the garage an expert, put-together look by coordinating the various components.
The colour of the floor coating, for instance, can draw attention to the expensive cars parked in the garage and complement the style of the cabinets and Slatwall installed there. It's possible that the tiniest details can improve the overall quality of the garage's interior. One way to get this effect is to use fasteners for hanging Slatwall panels that match the colour of the panels themselves. Some of our clients want their cabinet systems to stand out from the crowd, so we'll help them mount them to the wall so they look like they're floating. This will create the illusion that the cabinets are affixed to the wall.
Use A Car Lift To Save Space In Your Garage.
It can be difficult to store all of your possessions and find room for all of your cars in a garage with limited square footage. In certain cases, the only options for gaining extra room are to construct a costly garage expansion or to pay for annual off-site vehicle storage. Instead, you should consider purchasing a four-post car lift.
Having a car lift essentially doubles the amount of parking space you have, as it allows you to park two cars in the same place. Car lifts are helpful not only for parking everyday drivers, but also for seasonal vehicles that aren't driven until the warmer months. You can use a car lift to store your boat, jet ski, snowmobile, or any other bulky seasonal equipment with the right attachment. Car lifts simplify the process of working on a car's underbelly, which is especially useful if you're the type who enjoys getting their hands filthy when performing vehicle repair.
Whether you want to instal a wet bar in your garage or need a slop sink in your workshop, a DIY solution is within your reach. It's possible that your garage already has a water line, in which case installing a utility or bar sink there would just include connecting a cable of the existing line. If the only source of water in your home is cold, a "tankless" on-demand device can be installed under the sink to provide hot water on demand. In garages, this situation occurs regularly.
Improve Insulation And Climate Control
We aren't just talking about making the garage look fancier on the inside when we say "nicer garage interior." Additionally crucial is the level of ease you may attain while operating in the garage. Whether it's hot or freezing outside, you may make better use of your garage by installing additional insulation in the walls and ceiling, or by increasing the amount of insulation currently there. Remember to plug outlets and ducts, insulate garage doors, and weatherstrip your doors and windows to keep the cold air out.
These improvements will make your home more energy efficient year-round, from the central air conditioning system in the summer to the insulation in the winter. To make your garage a more comfortable living environment, you may choose to instal a heater or air conditioner. The savings from energy-efficiency upgrades will be reduced by the cost of installing these systems, but it may be worthwhile if you use your garage more frequently than the average household.
If you want your garage to be the envy of the neighbourhood, you can set it apart from the others by adding some custom touches that reflect the excellent quality you expect from the space's interior. One approach to improve the aesthetic appeal of a garage is to place perimeter LED lights below the lower accent strip of Slatwall panels. It contributes to the room's ambience while also providing a distinctive and sophisticated focal point. Our Coated Steps are just one more of the special touches that set us apart.
The coating on the stairs leading up to your main house will be updated at the same time as the rest of the garage floor. We may also apply the same process to your garage's wall foundation. The garage will have a more unified and polished appearance thanks to these treatments, and it will be more protected from draughts and moisture.
Repair The Garage Doors
Due to their backs, garage doors are considered an inside feature even if they are located on the exterior of your home. Something is probably not going to sit right with you if you pull into a beautiful garage and are faced by garage doors that look old, scuffed, and weathered (even from the back).
Assume, for the sake of argument, that you have transformed your garage into a multifunctional space by installing a gym and/or a workbench. The doors to this area will be closed most of the time, either to maintain privacy or because of the cold. At that time, unfortunately, there will be no solution to their visual impairments. Updating your garage doors is a great way to increase the value of your house and increase the enjoyment you get out of your garage.
Enhance The Quality Of The Air
We have listed several benefits from clearing out the garage, and one more is that it will improve the quality of air there. Even if the waste and unused household items stored in the piled cardboard boxes and plastic containers aren't being used, they are good at two things: accumulating dust and impeding the flow of air. Because of this, the air quality in the garage deteriorates, and it becomes increasingly difficult to clean the garage without leaving behind a musty odour. If you want to make sure the garage always has fresh air, after you've finished clearing out all the debris, you may install an air exchange system. Wind turbines powered only by the wind could be installed atop roofs. However, if you want more obvious results, you should have an electrically powered active air exchange system installed.
Replace Your Current Lights
One of the most effective ways to enhance the visual appeal of a garage's interior is to instal new lighting. Using a few 60- or 100-watt incandescent bulbs to light up an entire garage is so 20th century. The lighting is not only inefficient in terms of its consumption of energy but also provides poor quality illumination. Consider upgrading to new light fixtures, like our 4 foot LED light or pot lights, for a more modern look and better lighting all around.
If your garage floor is in decent repair, you may be able to get away with just painting it. First, we appreciate it if you could give it a good power washing and then use mortar repair compound to fill up any cracks you could find. If the floor is beyond repair, you can replace it with rubber gym floor tiles. They may hide a wide variety of imperfections, serve as a pleasant walking surface, muffle unwanted noise, and be easily cleaned of any stains, whether they from beer or motor oil.
The Time Has Come To Upgrade Your Garage's Technology
The garage can serve more purposes if it is updated with the same current technology as the rest of the house. One of the strongest arguments in favour of upgrading the garage's interior is the fact that it can be converted into a functional addition to the house. Mounting a smart TV or intelligent speaker in a cabinet system is possible for both, and the latter is mobile. Power outlets and USB chargers could be integrated into the design of a custom cabinet to improve its use. Among the many choices are keyless garage entry systems, smart garage lights, and smart garage door openers that let you monitor and control your garage doors from afar with an app on your smartphone. The list continues with many more examples.
Keep Your Garage Transformed
After your brand-new garage has been built and meticulously polished to perfection, only then will the hard work be done for you. The best way to keep the room looking as wonderful as it does right now is to make it a habit to clean and declutter it on a regular basis. You probably won't need to clean your garage more often than every couple of months.
We'd really appreciate it if you could give it a deeper cleaning, including washing the floor, at least once a year. Be conscious of the significance of limiting new garage storage purchases to what is truly required. Do your best to kerb your impulse to stock up on things you might need later because the price is so low during sales. If you make this into a routine, it will help you greatly in preventing a recurrence of the garage mess.
The accumulation of junk in many garages reduces their efficiency. When renovating the inside of a house, most people don't give much thought to the garage. Garbage can be easily thrown away in the garage, improving the space's appearance. The garage must be renovated into a showroom in order to stage a home for public viewing. Due to their practical nature, garages are often viewed as dull and lacking in character.
Modern floor coatings have greatly improved the aesthetic value of garages. Superior materials can be customised with designer hues to create a sleek, consistent look for garage floors. Cut slatwall panels to the exact measurements of your garage, and you'll have a tonne of new room for storage. Our staff at HomeBuyer.com has compiled a collection of over 40 unique varieties of wall hanging accessories for your shopping convenience. To keep a garage looking nice, just get rid of the clutter.
As well as being a better fit for your garage, the custom cabinets we create for you will look great and last for years to come. It is possible to protect the concrete flooring with a high quality floor coating. To make a space feel more open and airy, try painting the walls a lighter shade. Always keep in mind that any dirt or grime will show up more clearly on a lighter colour. Semi-gloss paints are more durable than flat paints and better hide dirt and wear.
Adding insulation to the walls and ceiling of your garage can make it more comfortable to work in regardless of the weather outside. For instantaneous hot water in a wet bar or slop sink, a "tankless" on-demand device can be installed under the sink. Investing in garage upgrades is a great way to both boost your home's resale price and give yourself more reasons to spend time there. Add some unique touches to your garage that are in keeping with the high standard of quality you've set for the rest of the house to make it the envy of the neighbourhood. The garage's air quality will increase once the clutter is cleared out.
The installation of new light fixtures can improve the overall lighting and give a room a more contemporary feel. If the garage is modernised in the same way as the rest of the house, it can be transformed into a useful extension. Keeping up the room's current pristine condition is easiest by making regular cleaning and decluttering rituals part of your routine. A custom cabinet could be made more practical by including built-in power outlets and USB charging ports.
- It's unfortunate that many garages lose some of their efficiency due to the accumulation of junk.
- Here is the top justification for maintaining a clean and organised garage: Why would you put dusty, unused items in front of your expensive, frequently used cars in the garage?
- In other words, if you want your garage to look better, you need to get rid of the junk that has been collecting in there for years.
- To improve the look of the garage and make more parking space available, simply throw your trash in the garbage cans provided.
- The garage must be renovated into a show room in order to stage a home for public viewing.
- Entrust Your Makeover to the Experts Do you want to know the one choice that will have the greatest bearing on whether or not you improve your garage?
- The quality of your garage remodel is directly related to the expertise of the contractors you hire.
- Even the garage floor, which may seem unremarkable, can have a significant impact on the room's overall appearance.
- However, the introduction of contemporary floor coatings applied by trained professionals has completely changed the aesthetic value of garages.
- Even if you live in a colder climate, you can complete the garage floor restoration project year-round.
- Conceal Clutter On The Ground You finally got around to organising that garage you've ignored for years, and now you're more productive than ever.
- You should never keep valuable items (such as hand tools, garden tools, automotive supplies, and so on) on the garage floor.
- You can put whatever you want in your garage, as long as nothing is reserved and the floor.
- Here, you'll find the easy instructions you need to put this into practise in your own life.
- Make use of unused wall space by installing shelves in your garage. If there aren't enough places to put things, it won't matter how stylishly arranged the garage's interior is.
- Hooks and pegboards are common in garages, but they don't make the most of the available vertical space.
- Garages can benefit greatly from the addition of slatwall panels, which can be custom-sized to meet your storage needs.
- Hang Storage Adaptable Being able to hang and store your belongings is a huge time saver.
- There are more than 40 different kinds of wall hanging accessories available, so you can find something that works for almost any situation.
- Make Clearly Labeled Spaces for Your Stuff Losing time looking for tools is one of the most annoying things about working in a disorganised garage.
- The time and frustration spent searching for a specific tool or accessory can be greatly reduced by creating storage zones using your storage systems to group items together.
- It's crucial that the garage floor remains undamaged. In addition to improving the aesthetic appeal of the garage as a whole, a high-quality floor coating can provide the concrete flooring with much-needed protection.
- The flooring will break down and crumble if it is not protected from foot traffic and other sources of wear and tear.
- Upgrade the look of your garage by painting the inside. The amount of daylight that enters a garage is greatly affected by the colour scheme of its walls and ceiling.
- To make a space feel more open and airy, try painting the walls a lighter shade.
- This refers to the entire garage, not just the areas that have Slatwall or cabinets installed.
- Semi-gloss paint is great if you want to use a lighter colour.
- Maximise the aesthetic potential of your garage By taking advantage of the design flexibility that comes with custom-made products, you can give the garage an expert, coordinated appearance.
- The colour of the floor coating, for instance, can draw attention to the expensive cars parked in the garage and complement the style of the cabinets and Slatwall installed there.
- The quality of the garage's interior might be raised with the help of minor adjustments.
- In order to achieve this look, you can use Slatwall panel fasteners that are the same colour as the panels themselves when hanging them.
- This will make it appear as though the cabinets are built into the wall.
- Plumbing There is a do-it-yourself option for anything from a wet bar in the garage to a slop sink in the workshop.
- Be sure to insulate your garage door and windows, seal any cracks around the door or window frames, and plug any exposed ducts to keep the cold air out.
- The central air conditioning system in the summer and the insulation in the winter are just two examples of how these upgrades will make your home more energy efficient all year round.
- You could instal a heater and air conditioner in your garage to make it more habitable.
- Special Add-Ons Custom touches that reflect the high quality you expect from the garage's interior can help set your garage apart from the rest and make it the envy of the neighbourhood.
- As if that weren't unique enough, we also have coated steps.
- Fix The Garage Doors, Please While garage doors may technically be located outside, they are still considered an interior fixture because of their backs.
- If you want to add value to your home and make more use of your garage, consider replacing the doors.
- We've already listed a few reasons why cleaning out the garage is a good idea, but now we can add one more: it'll make the air there better.
- As a result, the garage's air quality deteriorates, and it becomes harder to clean without leaving a musty scent.
- After you've cleaned the garage thoroughly, you can put in an air exchange system to make sure it's always ventilated properly.
- The Existing Lighting Must Be Replaced. Installing new lighting is one of the best ways to increase the garage's aesthetic value.
- It's Past Time to Update Your Garage's Equipment Bringing the garage up to speed with the rest of the house in terms of technology will allow you to use it for a wider variety of purposes.
- Upgrading the garage's interior so that it can be used as a room addition is a major pro for doing so.
- Both the fixed and mobile cabinet systems can accommodate a smart TV or intelligent speaker mount.
- Keyless garage entry systems, smart garage lights, and smart garage door openers are just some of the many options available.
- Keeping up the room's current pristine condition is easiest by making regular cleaning and decluttering rituals part of your routine
Frequently Asked Questions About Garage
If you're utilising your garage as a workshop, ensure you have a good-size workbench, large enough for all your projects. But if you also intend to use the space for relaxation, consider adding chairs, a coffee table, and of course, a big flat-screen TV.
Whether you're just adding storage, re-coating the floor, or doing a complete teardown, garage improvements are well worth the investment. Your new and improved garage will give you more storage and flex space. You can make a new hobby or workshop room, a home gym, or give your family more room to spread out.
Let's get started.
- New Garage Flooring.
- Paint the Walls a New Color.
- Add Insulation.
- Install Windows on Your Garage.
- Improve the Lighting.
- Convert Your Garage into an All-New Room.
- If Your Garage is Falling Apart, It's Time for a New One.
How Renovating an Old, Detached Garage Can Be an Extension of the Home
- Sort and donate any storage.
- Install a heater.
- Add cabinets and storage spaces.
- Organise the trash and recycling bins.
- Clean and refinish the garage floor.
- Use green pest control to protect it.
- Turn the garage attic into a living space.
Garage Wall Ideas: Ways To Improve Your Wall Space
- Add garage wall insulation.
- Drywall the garage.
- Paint the garage walls.
- Have a Slatwall storage system installed.
- Add garage wall hooks or track rail storage kits.
- Install garage wall shelving.
- Add tire racks.
- Use pegboard wall storage.